Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Searing Heat

Today I wanted to test my body to see how I'd hold up in the heat. For about the first 25 minutes I did fine. I felt good, my calves weren't sore, and I was holding a good steady pace. However. . . after the 25 minute mark, I started seeing stars and feeling a little bit dizzy. Therefore, I stopped and rested for about a minute then walked for another minute to gather myself. I then ran another 10 minutes at a slightly slower pace until I stopped to walk again for another minute. After that minute recovery walk, I ran it in to the finish.

Running in this heat is definitely a serious challenge, but something I'm glad I tested within myself. The heat can be a serious factor in training - especially running. For me, it can act as somewhat of a wall that's sometimes inpenatrable. This morning I really had to listen to what my body was telling me for fear of dehydrating or heat stroke. However, it was good to see where the limits of my body would currently take me. That continues to fascinate me.

No comments: