Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Speakin' In the Rain



As usual, it's raining again. It seems lately that that's all it's been doing. It's so miserable and I hate it when it's cold - much less when it's raining AND cold!

This morning was the return of the early morning wake up routine. The twins and I have to wake up at 4:30 a.m. to get going to the swim complex for their high school swim practice. It is so hard going to bed early and waking up that early to get started. It makes for a time in the afternoon where I hit the wall and get really tired. I can't imagine what it does to them! However, it makes me proud that the girls are so dedicated to waking up on their own and getting themselves ready that early in the morning. Never once have I had to wake them up. They always are responsible in waking up on their own in order to get to practice. And I told them, "As long as you are dedicated to wanting to do something like this - I'll make sure that you get there and on time." They've never swayed in their dedication and in turn it's kept me accountable to my word. I'm so proud of them for that.

This morning was a good swim workout. I actually felt better than I thought I would considering it's been at least a couple of weeks since I've been in the water. However, I found that my endurance capacity was better than I had expected. Evidently, the distance running IS actually paying off in more ways than one. BUT, . . . swimming is my strength of the three disciplines and it comes rather naturally when I'm back in the water. I don't really worry about the swimming aspect of training. I just do it to stay sharp and on form and because I enjoy it.

After my 45 minute swim session, I went to the weight room and got some body weight bearing sets in along with some core work. Overall, it was a good training day and a good start to the "early morning" routine again.

Also, I weighed for the first time in a long while this morning. I can tell I've put on some winter weight and the scale proved that theory. I weighed in at 192 lbs. My optimum mid season training weight should be 185 lbs. Not too far off and I feel I'm right where I need to be. This time last year I was closer to 200 lbs, so I'm satisfied with how I managed during the holiday and down time.

Philipians 4:13 was running through my head again this morning. Happens many times during my swims. Is the Lord trying to tell me something? I'm ready to know.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
- Philipians 4:13

No comments: