Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Suffering



Today was a day of suffering . . . in a good way. There's a certain attraction to the physical suffering that goes in to training. I think that my body subconsciously knows that it's suffering in order to get better and stronger. I believe that our bodies innately understand this concept better than our minds do. At least that seems to be the case with me. My life, at the moment, is very much a mirror of this concept. I'm suffering in many areas, and even though I know that I'll be okay and stronger in the end, it's hard for me to grasp this concept mentally. When you suffer, you feel alone. You feel like you're on an island. Alone. But that's not the case. That's the devil trying to make you believe that you're by yourself. But there's strength in community and knowing that there's always someone that's in a worse place than you. Suffering is interesting, and even more interesting is how God uses it to bring us closer and more aware of Him.

One of my favorite verses that alludes to suffering is Ephesians 6:12
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

This is obviously much more powerful than the obvious struggle and suffering that training brings to the physical. If we can endure the spiritual and mental aspects of this, the physical aspect should be a piece of cake!

No comments: