Monday, October 27, 2008

The Journey Home



Okay, so as of current posting time, I wasn't able to get this up for yesterday. It's Monday morning and Troy and I are home safely and have had a full night's sleep. It's nice to be home and comfortable in your own space. However, this trip will go down with tons of special meaning. Quality family time, exercise, competition, Florida weather, the coastal environment, and (most of all) time well spend with our Grandmother whom we rarely get to see anymore. We had a wonderful time with her and a great period of "bonding" time with her in her old age. This trip has really solidified how much my support system and family mean to me. I (or we, I should say) couldn't have done this without the "behind the scenes" support of our family. It's a strengthening and confidence builder. Troy and I now feel that we can go out and conquer anything that we truly put our minds to. We know we have the focus and the drive and it's that support system that we can fall back on when we are feeling weak. That's a wonderful gift that I've truly realized in the past few years from being so selfish. Thank you, triathlon, for being a part of helping me realize my strengths, my weaknesses, my faults, and my iniquities. As Troy and I have often realized, the sport of triathlon is a metaphor to life. It's a long journey that you continue to learn from and better yourself from your mistakes. As I get older, maybe that is why I'm so attracted to the sport. All I know is, it's making me a better overall man - even though I still have a long way to go.

Now it's time for some rest for a few days then on to our off-season workout routine. We'll keep you posted.

No comments: