Saturday, October 11, 2008

Me Lung-butter Long Time



This morning was the first bike ride I've had in seven days. Last time Troy and I rode was this same ride we did last week. However, I've done a lot of swimming and running (if you've kept up with the blog). Troy, on the other hand, has been sick and hasn't had much activity for the obvious sickly reasons. He HAS been itching to get out and get some training in for a solid week though. So as you could imagine, he was antsy to get out and ride this morning - even with some lingering after-effects of his illness. I've gotta say, I didn't expect much from him since he's been under the weather and literally on his back and sleep deprived. But once again, I'm surprised by the circumstances. Not only did he make it the whole way without stopping or getting off of the bike, but he also made it up "Deliverance Ridge" without having to get off of his bike and walk up the climb. That was a surprise to me! He had every reason and excuse to get off and walk up the hill, but he found enough in his tank and dug down deep enough to find the strength to make it up there. Understand, this is no easy climb on a bike! In fact, cars that drive up this ridge struggle a bit. I was taken back (once again) by Troy's determination, desire, and work ethic to power through the extenuating circumstances that lie ahead of him. It's these small glimpses and lessons that I get that show me where I can improve - where my weaknesses are.

Troy is a strong man in every sense of the word both physically and mentally, and I truly value these small nuggets of life lessons that I get through our training and us doing life together. I couldn't ask for anything more.

2 comments:

GC said...

Troy looks and sounds so pitiful! I had no idea he was so sick - I could have been praying specifically about that; however, I can certainly begin now! Amazing how the two of you feed off each other for strength and inspiration in various aspects of life. Both of you are extremely interesting creatures!

GC said...

I get so doggone annoyed with this thing! Nothing I ever comment on seems to make it through!!!