Saturday, May 31, 2008

Running on the Track


Today was a scheduled 40 minute run so I decided to run intervals at the track. The workout consisted of a 10 minute slow warm up of a mile at a 10 minute pace. I then stopped the clock and stretched for about 8 minutes, then proceeded to run 100 yard sprints. I ran 8 100's at a sprint pace then ran the remaining 10-12 minutes at a slow to medium steady pace with a couple of walk breaks. In realizing that I had to run 40 minutes, I figured that running sprint intervals would be relatively easy. Not so! It was an incredibly tough, and much harder than I ever thought. However, I've realized that running sprint intervals is very beneficial in distance running. So I'll be doing intervals once a week.

Tomorrow is 30 minutes of swim and 45 minutes of running. Dang, this running is going to kill me!

Here's a training update directly from an email Troy sent me on how he did today:

I did 31 minutes. I was WIPED OUT! I did well, but 3.5 hours in the hot sun doing the lawn took it out of me, but I did the best I could. I was on and off throughout stopping and then running. I pushed as hard as I could. I need to alter my route to make it 40 minutes. I thought an adjustment I made to my other route would make it long enough, but it didn’t. (which is good, I guess). Anyway, that’s the update. See you at 8:00 in the morning AT THE POOL.

No comments: