Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Going For A Goal


I've decided to create a blog to track my progress in the transition into a different athletic phase of my life. As I get older, I find myself being more competitive with self than I do with others. After years of playing basketball on every level except pro, I realize I'm not as physically interested in playing it as much. Therefore, I've taken up training for triathlons. I've never done one, but my first will be a sprint in St. Petersburg, FL called the Top Gun Triathlon.

After training for three weeks, I've realized that training for a triathlon is much more than physical. For me, it's become spiritual as well. It's truly a sport that embodies body, mind, and spirit. Here's my journey. . . 

Throughout my training process, I've also been physically training my brother to prepare for the Top Gun as well. He's a bit of a physical project. He's a big guy at 6'5" 311 lbs when we started training 3 weeks ago. However I must admit, I didn't expect him to flip the switch and be so dramatically dedicated. He's done everything that's been asked of him including changing his diet for the better. As a result, he's down to 304 lbs in 3 weeks and still losing. I'd love for him to be at about 275 lbs by August 2nd (which is the date of the event). It's a constant journey so we'll see.

Today our training schedule consisted of 30 minutes of biking and 15 minutes of running. It's a lot tougher than it sounds!

2 comments:

Thaddeus Gunn said...

I just dialed back to your first post to see what this blog was really all about. GOOD FOR YOU BOTH!! Man, you are inspirations to us all. I really mean that.

My wife ran the Hickam and the Tin Man as well as the Honolulu marathon, and I was a kickboxer way back when (twenty years ago). Now we just hike all over the Pacific NW.

I have to share this with you as well: as fit as I was when I was in my 20s, I ballooned from a lean 185 to 270 and 34% body fat when I was in my 30s. I've since worked my way back down to 219 and 16%. And I did it at age 38 - not a good time, they say, to be losing fat for a guy. But don't you believe them! You can do it!

Keep on,

-Thaddeus

TC said...

Thanks a ton TG! Thanks for your insight and commitment to better health as we all grow older. You too are and inspiration and I hope you continue on your journey to health and fitness.

Good luck with that achilles too! Let me know the progress and if I can help.

tc