Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Run/Swim Day


Today was scheduled as a 30 minute run and a 15 minute swim. I've got to say, the runs absolutely wear me out! I'm definitely the weakest on my running having not run distance in the past. I've always been a fast twitch muscle sport guy - sprints, basketball, football, etc. So to get my body acclimated to the long distant running has been quite an adjustment. I love the swimming and the biking aspect of triathlon, but I've got to train my body to start to like the run portion. I'll get there.

Troy and I worked out separately today due to Troy's work schedule. He woke up early and knocked all of his "required" workouts. I have to say, I was impressed that he went ahead of me and did it in order to get it behind him. The morning workouts usually prove to help motivate him to eat healthy throughout the rest of the day. So far, he's been doing great. His diet is more in check, he's getting much better on the swim, he's definitely better on the bike, and he's never really had a problem with his running. He's much better at endurance activities than I am.

This whole experience has been really good for me and, I think, for Troy. I can see our bodies changing for the better. I know mine has changed quite a bit in just 3 weeks. I've lost 15 lbs of fat and gained about 5 lbs of muscle. I can tell my body has tightened up quite a lot as well. I love the discipline aspect of this. It helps in all areas of my life. Troy's body is changing for the better as well. I can tell he's losing weight in his midsection and his legs. That seems to be the first place it comes off of him, which is quite a good thing. He's slowly tightening up and redistributing muscle where fat is. He doesn't see it, but I can certainly tell a difference. I can't wait to see where he is when all of this is much further down the line.

No comments: