Sunday, April 12, 2009

An Interruption

Last night was one of those sleepless nights again. I laid in bed staring at the ceiling as I prayed, thought, contemplated, worried, pondered, etc. I had my alarm set for 5:45 to wake up to go to the sunrise service on Easter morning for church. I finally dozed off at about 5:00 am and woke up some 45 minutes later. Frustrated that I couldn't sleep, I got ready to go to church to have service outside by the river. It was a beautiful morning and by the sweet sounds of the birds singing, I knew it was going to be a beautiful day in which I couldn't stay frustrated for too long.

I got to church, walked down to the river where there were hundreds of people already gathered, and decided to stand in the back like my good Southern Baptist upbringing. After the worship music, Pastor Steve started into his message on Godly interruptions and how they're good for us. He made the analogy that our lives are constantly interrupted by society but that most of the time it's a frustration and sometimes a set back that we learn to live with. Not 5 minutes into his message, two geese flew low over the tree tops calling out their bird calls. Trust me, it was loud. So loud in fact that Steve had to stop talking all together to wait for them to pass as he physically watched them pass over head. It was as if it were right on cue as he talked about allowing God to interrupt our lives for His glory.

I can't speak for anyone else there, but that to me was an incredibly powerful moment. It was as if the Lord made a grand entrance in a beautiful way to say, "I want to be close to you. I want your life to be interrupted so that we can have a closer relationship."

I didn't hear too much after that moment because I was so moved by what I feel was the Lord speaking to me and saying, "I know you're uncomfortable right now. I know things are difficult in your life right now, but rest in me. Have faith and know that though your life is being interrupted, you are growing closer to me and I love you for that." It was a moment in my life that I'll not soon forget. So in this case, my interruption will end up being a wonderful one.

Oh, and did I mention? Pastor Steve stated that the Celtic symbol for the Holy Spirit is the goose. Pretty amazing how the Holy Spirit can move and communicate. Praise the Lord! For today, He is risen!

No comments: