Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Presidental Address

Today was one of those days that wasn't exactly a good day and with no particular reason. It was just a day that loomed a bit darkly. As I sit here in my home, alone with my thoughts, I watch the Presidential address to congress on television and all I can think about is this: Whether you agree with our newly elected President or not, I find myself not really being concerned with the serious crisis that our country is in. I find that I have a certain peace about my personal situation. A peace that has been afforded me by my Lord and Savior. I feel that my God is bigger than any depression or national deficit. He's also personal enough to look out for my individual well-being and one that knows the future that He holds for me in His hands.

Yes, I've been through some major struggles and yes, I still have a way to go. However, I have hope. Hope in my future and hope for tomorrow. Have I suffered? YES! But God has allowed these trials to sharpen me and to make me a better man, father, and spiritual leader to my children. I've learned that every human will experience a certain amount of suffering in their lifetime, and I've certainly experienced my fair share to this point. For that, I'm thankful because this has obviously been in the Lord's plan for me and I accept that. I've realized that it's not IF suffering will happen, but how we navigate waters of suffering victoriously. It's inevitable.

God knows the greater outcome, which is why He allows the painful present.

What does all of this have to do with triathlon and training? Here's the bottom line for me. There's a certain connection between the physical suffering that goes along with training and the suffering that is inevitable that goes along with life. I've learned to embrace both and praise the Lord for it.

Now practically, this morning was a nice 4.5 mile run for about 38 minutes this morning before work in the cold weather. I'm truly ready for the chill in the air to be overtaken by the warmer spring weather. I'm ready to really push myself with my new coach to see how far I can take myself, better myself physically and mentally, and continue down the road to redemption.

No comments: