Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Triswami Run Analysis

This morning I had to wake up at 6:00 am to meet with my triathlon coach Richard Baker at 7:00. His job is to make me better in the three disciplines and today was a run analysis. He was to take a look at my stride and running gait and make it more efficient and comfortable. Being from a quick twitch sports background, I figured that my long distance running form would be way out of whack. This was my thought due to the fact that when I run distance runs, I usually get some calf and Achilles soreness. I figured I was a mess. However, after doing some warming up and listening to the teaching of the Triswami guru himself, he told me that I had very good natural running form. Needless to say, I was a bit shocked, happy, and encouraged. During the workout session, he did however do some very minor tweaks to my arm placements and swing motion that ended up making quite a big difference over a long period. I could tell at the end of the workout after we had run hill repeats, run drills, tempo runs, etc. In all, we clocked in about 5 to 5.5 miles over the period of our workout and it didn't feel like we had done that much in that period of time. I was very pleasantly surprised because I was going into this coaching thing thinking that my run was by far the thing that needed the most work. That's still somewhat true. I just have to get in the miles now that I know the proper technique and form thanks to the Schwam!

Unfortunately, no video today because there's been no time. Between training, work, taxiing kids, and other things, I haven't been able to take the time to shoot some video. However, I'll get it in when I can and keep this updated as much as possible.

I'm having a great time training and learning a new competitive sport and I feel that I can be pretty good at this and accomplish my goals in the meantime. The Lord willing, we shall see.

No comments: