Saturday, March 7, 2009

100k Group Ride



Okay, so it's been about a week since my last post here. It's been because I've been so busy with work, kids, training schedule, etc. I guess life is just getting in the way of my posting.

At any rate, I'm typing this blog while sitting on my back deck enjoying the perfect 74 degree sunny weather. I wasn't so lucky this morning. This morning the temp was mid 50's, overcast, and a slight mist. Not exactly perfect biking weather. By the time I had finished the ride, my bike and I were completely covered in dirt and water from the roads - but I digress.

I arrived at the meeting launch spot well before the 7:15 depart time. I wanted to make sure that I had everything in place and was not feeling rushed. Once we got going (myself and 8 other stud riders), I immediately realized that these guys weren't your average weekend warrior-type riders. These guys are vastly experienced in riding and/or many triathlons. I then knew I was in for a long day and I was out of my league. However, I felt good and stayed well within the pack. I went on relatively holding my own for the first two hours until we got to an unrelenting monster hill. Needless to say, I hit the wall. It was everything I could to to hang on until eventually I got dropped. Yes, I got dropped! It was humbling to say the least but a learning experience that I'm sure I'll draw from down the road. My coach (and quickly becoming a good friend), Richard Baker in all of his gregariousness, was kind enough to turn around, come back, and ride the last hour of the ride with me. That truly meant a lot to me and told me a ton about his character. He didn't have to do that. I could've made it back on my own, but he decided to use that time as teaching tool and I was accepting and grateful. We finally made it back and I was never so happy to see my car in the distance. However, I had a great time and truly learned a ton from these experienced guys that allowed a "newbie" to tag along. Thanks guys!

I certainly know now that I have a long way to go to where I want to be and today was an indicator toward that. I also know some areas that I can improve on and that also encourages me. I'm always up for growth.

Lastly in case you're wondering, my coach is not just a coach (in the traditional sense). He's a seriously competitive athlete and I have a long way to go before I ever get close to his level. One can certainly hope!

No comments: